Introducing the BrookWright International Brass Band Composer Competition 2022 (IBBCC)
After the success of the competition over the last two years, BrookWright is again offering composers and arrangers the chance to have their music showcased through this innovative Brass Band Composition Competition. The Overall Winner will receive $500 US in cash, a download license to the music playback program NotePerformer*, publication of your work through BrookWright Music, whilst also receiving any associated royalties, and a high-quality recording by the 1st Section North American Champion Band, Dallas Brass Band using state-of-the-art recording equipment.
The five finalists will also have ‘follow-the-score’ videos of their pieces produced using NotePerformer and shared on YouTube and BrookWright's social media pages. In addition, a 'Public Commendation Prize' will be awarded to the finalist with the most 'likes' on Youtube, whilst winning $150 US in cash.
- Composers/arrangers are invited to submit a brass band composition/arrangement** or multiple compositions/arrangements of no more than 5 minutes’ duration each. Works can be any difficulty level up to and including 1st Section level. There is no limit to the number of entries that can be submitted.
- Our panel of esteemed judges, James Curnow, Dr Liz Lane and Paul Hindmarsh, will agree a shortlist of five finalists from all the submissions before deciding the overall winner. In addition, a 'Public Commendation Prize' will be awarded to the finalist with the most 'likes' received on Youtube by noon Central Standard Time (CST) time on Friday 11th November 2022.
- Standard brass band instrumentation should be employed:
Soprano Cornet Eb, Solo Cornet Bb (x4), Repiano Cornet Bb, 2nd Cornet Bb (x2), 3rd Cornet Bb (x2), Flugel Horn Bb, Solo Horn Eb, 1st Horn Eb, 2nd Horn Eb, 1st Baritone Bb, 2nd Baritone Bb, 1st Trombone Bb, 2nd Trombone Bb, Bass Trombone, Euphonium Bb (x2), Bass Eb (x2), Bass Bb (x2), Timpani (optional), Percussion (up to 3 players).
- There are no restrictions on the style of the music.
- Submissions should not already be published, but they do not necessarily need to be newly composed or arranged works.
- The closing date for entries is Friday 14th October 2022 at 11.59pm Central Standard Time (CST). On or before this date candidates should submit the following:
• The entry form (found below)
• A Sibelius or xml file of the piece to be uploaded to https://www.dropbox.com/request/aFLyQtp1EpITSqkwedc5 (Finale files may be submitted if it's not possible to convert to xml)
• A PDF of the score
• An audio file (MP3 or WAV). Either live recordings or midi files will be accepted.
• The entry fee of $15.00, which is payable at www.brookwrightmusic.com/product-page/international-brass-ensemble-composer-competition-2021-entry-fee-1 Please note entry fee is applicable for each item you submit, so for example if you submit 2 pieces the fee would be $30.00, or $45.00 for 3 pieces, and so on.
We look forward with real anticipation to receiving your submissions!
*NotePerformer is currently compatible with Finale, Sibelius and Dorico. For more information about the product please visit www.noteperformer.com For a sample of the sound quality, please visit www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L7mdQQd1vg
**Please note if your piece is an arrangement, only arrangements of public domain material will be accepted.
***The Public Commendation winner may also be the Overall Winner.